Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Feeling pregnant

It came as a total surprise, when I was least expecting it, and when I was most desiring it. A long fight lasting a few days, I was getting tired. She was very annoyed, causing her to have headaches and vomit twice! Friday morning, after we made up, I wonder, isn't it abit late? I insist on getting a home test, only to have a reason not to go to her friend's party in the middle of the desert. Even though I had little hope the test would be positive so we have reason to cancel the desert trip, it was a complete shock when it did turn positive. Still in doubt, I could not have an affirmation until the blood test result came out the following day.

It does feel weird. On the one hand, its an amazing feeling to know that you're taking part in this great process --creation of a new life, and knowing that this new life is derived from you. An awesome feeling already, even before you see the physical result of it. On the other hand, many worries start to creep into your mind, from pregnancy complications, to birth defects (including the possibility of being a Sagittarius girl), to how your life will dramatically change once this guy is out there in the air.

According to the medical community we're in week 5, to me its only week 1. It only counts when you know about it. So for the last week, I've been reading everything I can about pregnancy, what not to eat, what not to do, what is safe, what's unsafe, phases of pregnancy. For the most part, I want to make sure we're doing things right and am trying to reduce the risks, especially that our lifestyles are so unhealthy. But I also keep reading about all the details of the pregnancy and am eager to find more stuff to read about it, because I want to live the experience and I want to try to feel every phase of the creation of this life that is derived from me. Ofcourse its tiring. She feels exhausted without exerting external effort. Vomiting and nausea are not fun. However, I maybe feeling abit jealous that she's the one going through all this, actively participating in creating that womb, and feeling every bit of this soul's development, and not me!

17 comments:

Atiya Herekar said...

I like your blog. Being a Pakistani (and once engaged to an Egyptian), I can see the similarities in our country (your country might be safer than ours but not your roads).
http://fromcairo.blogspot.com/2005/05/egypts-traffic-and-culture.html

Keep writing and I'll keep visiting, man. Cheers.

JKW said...

I think it is beautiful how you wish it were you experiencing the joy of pregnancy....I don't know if a lot of men do actually feel that they are missing out on something as the woman carries the child and feels it grow and strengthen inside her, it is not really something that men talk about. But congratulations to you for verbilising your thoughts and desire to be more involved and to have a greater understanding of the experience and life that you have created.

peaceofheart said...

Being pregnant is amazing! I'm 8 months pregnant...and seeing how close I am till it's all over makes me feel sad, i'm gonna miss those beautiful kicks, turns and hilarious hiccups that go on inside! On the other hand, i'm so eager to see how this little baby looks like... to hear her voice, feel her. It's a thrilling experience, all of it.

Unknown said...

Hi, i'm from brazil and i'm going to visit cairo next month, september, and i'd like to know people form cairo. if you want to meet me and my husband, send a message to my work e-mail sgs@bndes.gov.br
health and love for your baby,
silvania

Anonymous said...

بارك الله فيك

موضوع ممتاز

منتديات

http://www.56waat.com/vb

http://www.56waat.com

http://dalil.56waat.com

http://www.56waat.com/quran

http://www.56waat.com/hair

http://www.fr7ty.com/vb

http://www.fr7ty.com

Alina said...

Wow, Mo, congratulations! I know you're going to be a wonderful dad! I only saw this now... but I kind of lost the habit of checking your blog. You post so little these days. Or should I say years :)

Double Standard said...

Congrats !!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Whenever you feel the signs of pregnancy, it doesnt mean that you are really pregnant. For you to be sure you have to test yourself using elisa test kits. These kits helps you to detect substances in your body as well as diseases inside your system.

There are lot of elisa kit manufacturers are booming around the world to provide good services in the public.

Jewaira said...

what a nice post :)
Congratulations

Unknown said...

Check out our visit to the Khan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzPgw7OCeO4

Anonymous said...

Congrats too!

Mariam said...

Hi Mohammed, I like your articles I wonder if you are intrested in publishing them in a bilingual magazine that will be published in Cairo, if you are intrested please drop us an E-mail on goodmoments@live.com

Thanks

postroomblog.com said...

Hey there, congratulations - what fantastic news! I've really been enjoying your blog - I'm from the Uk and about to move to Cairo for 4 months to study Arabic. Very excited!

I have my own blog, if you'd like to have a look, at www.postroomblog.com and I'll be blogging about my own Cairo experiences there. If anyone wants to check it out, or leave a comment, they'd be very welcome.

Alaa El-deen E. Fahmy said...

Hello Mohamed,

I was researching about arranged Marriages and I was glad to pass by your Blog. I'm really happy to see such deep and enlightening opinions of people on that topic. I wanted to see your latest Blog and I found out it was on April 2009 !!

Hope you continue writing and if you write in some magazine, please tell us about it, as I'm sure that most of the people here, reading this Blog would like to follow you.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with the worlds

Wish you all the best in life.

And Happy New Year (2011)

Rental Mobil 911 said...

Nice article, thanks for sharing.


sewa mobil

syamira said...

love your blog. am from malaysia. just discovered it :)