Saturday, March 12, 2005

Ayman Nour freed on bail today

Just announced on Nile TV a while ago.
UPDATE I: Nour refuses to pay bail, AlJazeera reports. He certainly wants to make a stand that this is not a criminal case.
UPDATE II: Issandr reports that he is actually out. Reuters says his supporters collected the funds to pay it anyway.

Hasn't he spent the 45 days in detention as set by the prosecuter general, and those 45 days end today? Well then, they would've either had to get him out on bail, or extend his detention, which would've been just plain dumb.
The case is still open. What are the alternatives now?
1. Proceed with the case and get him charged, and jailed for a while until he appeals. They'd love to do that.
2. Proceed with the case and acquit him.
3. Dismiss the case all together, and I think that would be very awkward to do.
Option 2 seems like the most likely option in my view.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just watched Ayman Nour having a very long interview on a Satellite channel. I have a feeling they are going to go ahead with the trial and acquit him.

Now whatever the outcome of the case, or whether he is the suitable person to lead Egypt at this period or not, they made a martyr out of him, something he couldn't have even dreamt of happening, he is now the hero, the "opposition leader".

Anonymous said...

I wonder

a) if it was all a big show (living in this part of the world makes you think with a conspiratorial mind) to make of Ayman Nour a hero and then when Mubarak WINS anyway, he (Mubarak) looks like a truly elected president?

b)they're just REALLY STUPID because I just can't conceive of the fact that the "regime" found Nour threatening. I mean haven't they learned ANYTHING from the Saadedin Ibrahim saga?

Mohamed said...

TY, I don't know if I would call it all a big show, but its always a possibility I guess. Would be too sophisticated a game for me to understand. However, I do find it very strange that they found him threatening in any way. And even if so, then why did they give his party the license in the first place? I think they made a deal, whereby he gets his party off the ground on condition that it would be a tamed party, and he broke the deal, and they're trying to teach him a lesson.

When was Saadedin a threat to regime? He was like their adopted child for a long time, until he decided to break the rules.

Anonymous said...

TY.

I think you have brought up the most convincing idea I have read in the last three weeks.

THANKS.